About Me

My photo
- "A life without a bit of craziness is not worth living". - I'm a thinker, even though I often live life with less thinking. - "Rules are made to be broken."

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Carelessness bugs me

What is it that makes people change?
My answer is simple: the environment. The people around them, the situations they go through, the little things.
The Boston Marathon bombers seemed - unlike most other psychos who did such awful things - by all their friend's accounts, normal; friendly even. So what made them switch? What triggered this hate and made them snap at people they didn't even know?

Well, here's a clue. The older brother was pretty straight forward about the fact that he didn't feel like he "fit in".
I hate to say it, but I do understand what he means.
Having been bullied from childhood and made to feel like a social outsider up to recently, even I - an otherwise known as a very "social person" and "life of the party" - have had those moments when I just don't get how some people can live with themselves being so selfish and deliberately horrible. When you are in a new world and you already have to start from scratch, you need friends around you whom you can trust. Far too often careless people with big egos tend to betray your trust. So, once - you let it go; twice - you start to find faults in yourself; three times - it becomes less and less bearable. You get to the point where you have a bunch of "friends", and yet you are completely alone. 
When others are cruel and they don't even know it, when they don't get that words truly do hurt and how much one gesture can cure or wound, or even worse, when they simply don't care... that's when one can easily start to feel like they have nothing to lose anymore.

"Guns don't kill", feelings do. People do - other people. Carelessness kills.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instead of P.S.:
My confession, as someone who has been called a "hero" (in light of the Boston Marathon bombings): I don't feel like a hero, and I don't feel like a victim. I simply feel stunned. Or, at best, horrified.
The really sad aftermath of all that has happened is that this tells you how careless we all have become; how ignorant, how indifferent and how selfish. Those who do dare to stay behind and give a hand don't "do their job", or the "human thing to do" anymore. They are "heroes". This kind of "heroism" should be in all of us.
That's what's wrong with our society. That's what breeds killers in "innocent" kids. To my earlier point: Carelessness.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment